Yesterday, March 8, was my birthday. Traditionally my mom makes my favorite cake for me- angel food cake. This year was the exception, so I decided to make my own birthday cupcakes!
I love baking, so I looked through one of my Betty Crocker cookbooks and found a recipe for chocolate cupcakes with chocolate orange icing. I was so excited to bake completely homemade cupcakes…. with a little pizzaz.
Although I ran into some difficulties with the cupcake batter (I forgot to add the orange zest so I had to start all over again), the cupcakes were delicious! I truly think that these are the best cupcakes that I have ever made.
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe:
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 mins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup hot water
2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
3/4 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper baking cups in 24 regular size muffin cups.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. In another bowl, mix hot water and cocoa until dissolved- set both bowls aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat margarine with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar- 1/2 cup at a time (beat well after each addition). Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each. Beat in vanilla and orange zest. On a low speed, mix in cocoa mixture and flour mixture- alternate each. Beat until well blended.
4. Fill 24 cupcake cups 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 20- 25 mins or until cupcakes are spongey. Remove and cool.
1/2 cup margarine, softened
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons orange juice (pulp free)
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1. In a large bowl, mix butter and melted chocolate until well blended.
2. Stir in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Beat in vanilla and orange juice until smooth.
3. Beat in orange zest until well blended.
4. Use spatula to put icing into a sealable sandwich bag, seal, and cut off corner.
5. Frost cupcakes using bag to create swirl and place small pieces of orange peel on top as garnish.